What is the Wolf House?
Built in 1810, The Daniel Wolf House is believed to be the birthplace of East Petersburg.
In 1812, Wolf offered 79 building lots in a lottery, which established the town. Local historians consider it likely that the lottery was held in Wolf’s general store. The Wolf House is over 200 years old, and the historic property is one of the town’s oldest brick structures. Over the years, it has been also been used as a school, a tavern, a hotel, and a butcher business.
How did the Historical Society gain ownership of the property?
On December 16, 1994 the East Petersburg Historical Society banded together to purchase The Daniel Wolf house & store at the corner of State and Lemon Streets. Since then, it has served as the official home of the Historical Society for activities and meetings, and houses the collection of the town’s historical items.
The Wolf House also serves as the EPHS’s Gift Shop. It has several items of interest for sale, including replicas of many historical buildings in the borough, woven Afghans, and handmade ceramic crocks. Items from town artists include illustrations by Dorothy Hollinger of buildings in the community & notes featuring artwork by Christian Strenge, a fraktur artist who lived in the borough in 1790’s until his death in 1828.